So, what devices make up a Selous Doorbell system?
At a Glance
|One Selous Video Doorbell
|Up to Four Muse monitors
|One Model 4001 Power Supply Unit
|One Model 4110S monitor hub if you have more than one monitor
The basic system is the doorbell- the device at your front door which houses the video camera- and a power supply unit. The Selous video doorbell is a seriously robust, quite large doorbell camera which suits larger properties, and ones which require a tough doorbell which can put up with some abuse. A 3mm stainless steel fascia will definitely give you that.
The Selous video doorbell has a built-in proximity reader which means you don't need a door key- just scan your key fob or entry card across the doorbell and the electric lock will open. Is this secure? That depends mainly on the electric lock. If you need high-level security, get a serious electric lock. Do I have to use the proximity reader function? No, if you just want to use the doorbell without the proximity reader, do not wire it up to a lock.
To complete the system, you now select between one and four monitor devices, so you can view the images coming from the video doorbell. This system offers the Muse monitor. If you buy more than one Muse monitor, you will automatically recieve a distributor hub, Model 4110S. Rounding out your Selous Doorbell system you will receive a power supply, Model 4001 which can power up to four monitors.
Selous video doorbell
Almost everyone who sees the video output from this particular camera mention the superb depth and clarity of the picture. It really is outstanding.
The doorbell unit also has a voice enunciation function, giving a kind of audible report of what it is doing at that moment.
The camera itself is adjustable, so if you have a large doorway, or just an annoyingly-shaped entry hall, the camera can still cover the crucial area.
|3mm stainless steel
|W 150 x H 272 x D 68.5mm
|Flush mount (comes with wall box)
|Proximity reader (comes with 5 keyfobs)
|'Talking' feature - a voice tells you what the unit is doing
The Muse monitor is neat and stylish, with a matt white finish and black glass inset screen. The video screen is seven inches on the diagonal.
It has an image recording function, recording one picture every time the doorbell is pushed. It has capacity for up to fifty pictures- more than enough in normal use.
|matt white finish, black glass inset screen
|W224 x H140 x D24mm
|800 x 480 pixels
|Full Duplex (2-way talking)
|Mute function for do-not-disturb times
|Surveillance function - view outside at any time via monitor
Model 4001 Power Supply Unit
|AC multi power transformer
|AC180V~ 270V 50~60Hz
|DC 35V 1.4A
* For distances over fifty yards, two power supplies might be needed. One hundred yards maximum distance doorbell to monitor. Please contact us for further advice.
Model 4110S monitor hub
For systems with more than one Muse monitor, you will receive an additional device called a monitor hub. The cables from the monitors will meet at this device, which is then connected to the video doorbell.
Requires CAT-5/CAT-6 cables with RJ45 Connectors
CAT-5E or CAT-6 cable, otherwise known as ethernet cable is usually used for computer networks. It has copper cores, and is very dependable for systems like video doorbell systems.
RJ45 connectors are small plastic plugs used to connect the ends of CAT-5 cables to hubs and devices.
Your installer would usually supply these. They can be made up from parts, or bought pre-made.
• Door Strikes and Bolt Locks - electric locks which you can open from your monitor. Requires 12V power supply. Click here to buy
• Exit Buttons - You will need one of these inside your property if you have an electric lock. Click here to buy
• Standalone Keypad - with this device you can have keyless entry to your house. Up to 250 people can have their own pin code. Requires 12V power supply. Click here to buy
• Standalone Proximity Reader - provides keyless entry to house. Open lock by holding key fob or card in front of the reader. Requires 12V power supply. Click here to buy
• Proximity Key Fobs and Proximity Cards - you will only need these if you add Proximity Reader. Click here for fobs or here for cards to buy